Tuesday August 4th is National Night Out. And given that we’re always looking for an excuse to get together with neighbors and friends anyway this is a great occasion to do so.
- Where: Horace White Park. We’ll be gathering by the band shell.
- Time: 5:30-9:00
- What: It’s a picnic. While you’re certainly welcome to bring something to pass it is not expected, it’s not a “pot luck”. So simply bring what you would enjoy for a picnic.
- Bring the kids: We’ll have games and prizes!
- What else to bring: There are approximately eight picnic tables available though you may want to bring chairs or otherwise plan for this.
- Grills? There are no grills there. You’re welcome to bring one along though if you’d like.
Please invite your neighbors and friends who may not see this web posting.
BTW, there’s a small fee for reserving the park. As such we’ll be passing the hat to cover this.
Thanks to Marge F. for pulling this together for us!
Photo credit: Mark P. (any excuse to showcase Mark’s pics and this HW park pic is among my favorites)
See what’s going on in the Historic District or right next door and within walking distance.
The Beloit NPA Calendar of Events
Just some of the things available to neighbors living in and around Beloit’s Historic District that are within walking distance.
- - Beloit College
- - Beloit International Film Festival
- - Downtown (shops, dining, live music etc.)
- - Riverfest
- - Friends of Riverfront
- Music at Harry’s Place
- Dancing at Harry’s Place
- Movies in the Park
- Plein Aire
- - Beloit – Janesville Symphony
- - Beloit Fine Arts Incubator
- - Kids Fun and Drama – Music & Acting for kids
- - City Parades
- - Society for Learning Unlimited – SLU
- - Museums
- Logan Museum
- Wright Museum
- - Municipal Building & city services
Where else but next door to the historic districts, in downtown Beloit. Starting tomorrow Friday 3/13 through Tues. 3/17.
- Live Music
- Bagpipe Bands
- Irish Dancers
- Irish Singers
- What else but Corned Beef and Cabbage
- And of course…. Guinness.
Entertainers featured to include…
- the full calendar of events here. Click through to
All this brought to you by our friends at Suds O’Hanahan’s, Kerry Ingredients and the Downtown Beloit Association.
Prior to moving to the area I lived in Evanston IL, another ‘college’ town. So when I was considering where to move in the stateline area the fact that there is a college here was very attractive to me.
Though I was unsure how it might manifest, my expectation from prior experience was that living in a college town would add a layer of arts, entertainment, educational opportunities and… well, sophistication. Though neither of us teach or work at the college we’re frequent beneficiaries of the college being just down the street. It couldn’t be more convenient. We likely take advantage of what’s available more often precisely because it’s adjacent to the historic district. Additionally, we’ve had the opportunity to meet some very interesting neighbors who are professors or otherwise work there.
So with that as preface I was very pleased to see in the mail yesterday the Beloit College Arts & Lectures Calendar. There are many things we’ve circled that we’re now hoping to attend. Some great stuff. I’ve updated and expanded The Beloit NPA calendar with these events and others. Hope to see you out at some of these events.
Just thought I’d share something…
We were out at one of our favorite places last evening for some live music (The Steve Doiel Trio at The Gun Club) and met someone new to the area. Seems they moved into one of the neighboring communities a few months ago from Florida. Evidently they’re experiencing withdrawals from having things to do, places to go and live music on the weekends and found their way to Beloit and was glad to have found The Gun Club. I thought that was cool. I thought it cooler still that we’ve a number of options right here within walking distance. Well, that is if it wasn’t snowing out.
BTW, I just got copies of the Beloit College Arts & Lecture series (walking distance) and the Winterfest schedule (a third of which the events are withing walking distance) and will get that updated to the calendar asap.